Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 113

BASEBALL STUFF!!!

Due to the fact that my foster dog forces me to wake up early every day, I had time to watch yesterday's game, which was pretty awesome.

Upon finishing that game, I settled on the couch for the live game.
Jason Kendall bobble head.
Which I should have known would prove to be a loss, as it seems they always seem to do poorly on bobble head days.
Plus I'm surprised Jason Kendall even agreed to do a bobble head. I don't think I've ever seen that guy smile.
Even when he does a good job, he's always super serious.
Which I kind of like.
Total gamer, that guy.

Anyway, we had two phone calls asking me whether we were going to the game.
Whlie I think all fan give-aways are a great way to attract crowds, as they are almost always sell-outs.
I really don't like going to those games. Plus let's be real. We are super broke.
1. It's always amateur hour. Especially with day games. So you have people who don't know anything about baseball talking smack. Which is annoying.
2. Super crowded. Which means: lines for bathrooms, lines for food/drink (although E and I have started to bring our own food/drink), and lines make it harder to navigate the concourse
3. Almost inevitable, someone tries to start the wave. Which is annoying, and I hate it. If you find a baseball game so boring that you have to do something that decidedly takes away from other spectators viewing said sport, you should not go to the game.

So I watched the game in the comfort of my own home, where I listen to people who are knowledgeable about the sport make comments, that make me feel smarter because I said them moments before, or I whole-heartedly agree.

Needless to say it was not a game to remember. It was a shut out and I took a nap during inning 2-7. Not like I missed much.

After my nap, I had dinner on the brain and we decided on stuffed zucchini, which was super duper delicious and fairly easy to make. I hope we get more zucchini in our next farm share, as I would love to make it again. The recipe came from the 1952 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, that JT got me a while back from the antique store:


The recipe is as follows:
Pre-heat oven to 350F
  • 6 med. zucchini (we used three)
  • 3 c. bread crumbs (we used 1 1/2 c.)
  • 1/2 c. grated parmesan
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 3 tbsp. parsley (I used a combo of oregeno, rosemary and thyme, but thought the thyme and rosemary were over-powering)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp butter
Wash zucchini, cut off ends; don't pare. Cook in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes.
Halve lengthwise; remove pulp with spoon; combine with bread crumbs, cheese, onion, parsley, salt, pepper and eggs.
Fill zucchini shells; dot with butter; sprinkle with more cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment