Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 64

Today E and I were quite the active urban residents.
We walked to our urban library, through Washington Park.
Then we swung by the Urban Ecology Center, located in Washington Park to pick up some info on upcoming events.
If you live near an Urban Ecology Center, I would recommend becoming a member as they provide great things for residents of the city! I think a family membership is like $35.
With that being said, Erin and I are not members, as I don't have a job.
But we will become members once a steady paycheck is rolling in.
I promise.
Just like I promise to become a member of WMSE, WUWM (our NPR station, yep...we're THOSE people that listen to NPR), and maybe Radio Milwaukee.
I say maybe to Radio Milwaukee because 9 times out of 10 I don't like what they're playing, but they DO do a lot of stuff for neighborhood's, and they are still better 95% of the radio stations out there.
If you listen to these stations and have a job you should totally support them!!!
Even if it's just $5. They will, to quote AA, "APPRECIATE!"

We then headed home for a delicious dinner made on the grill.
Fake chicken cutlets and grilled asparagus (okay and some wine and beer) make for a delicious meal. We are quite impressed with the McCormick's Montreal Grill Seasoning, as our last bottle of "Season-All" ran out and we were quite disappointed to find out that they don't make it anymore. Seriously, this bottle came from J&P and we were both sure it was years, if not decades old.
This stuff is good, even though we will never use it on a steak.

After dinner we had a neighborhood meeting.
As I'm sure most of you know, I serve on the board of our neighborhood association.
And.
This meeting was a biggie.
There was a group home proposal and apparently, if there is something that CSP residents don't want in their neighborhood...
It's a group home.
A group home for troubled youth.
Troubled males.
Yikes.
Actually some people thought a group home would be fine, if controlled, etc.
Upon hearing the initial where/what/when from our Alderman, I kind of thought I wouldn't like this idea.
But!
I decided I would let the woman talk and see if she could talk me into it. Maybe she had some great ideas, great staffing options, what have you.
Nope.
None of the above.
Her and her associate gave different answers, used made up words (seriously "Flustrated"?), and clearly had no idea what was going on, nor what our neighborhood was about.
Which means they did absolutely no research, which didn't give me confidence in the way they would run business.
And it was clearly a business venture for them.
So as a group, CSPNA did not like the idea of a group home. This doesn't mean it won't happen.
But it will go to BOZA when they are making their decisions.
AND.
The board looked like we actually had our shite together.
For once.

No comments:

Post a Comment