Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 78

Memorial Day.
Today is the day we remember...bleah bleah blah.
Is that incredibly callous of me to not want to watch all the God Bless America bs during the Brewer game?
You know what?
I don't think it is.
Plus I hate the Leann Rimes version.
Okay so I hate any version of that song. But at least with Bessie Smith I can sing along in my church voice.
And sometimes it will make my nephew laugh.
I don't hate America.
Okay so I would totally move to France or Canada or England if I had $$$ and I didn't have to quarantine my dog for 6 months.
But if we were truly having a Memorial Day there wouldn't be baseball. It would be a somber event.
And singing God Bless American during a baseball game, on your day off while you stuff yourself full of beer and brats, isn't really the most patriotic thing you can do.
At all.
Here is a fun fact for you:
During the years 1941-1945 5400 of the 5800 baseball players enlisted in the armed forces.
That is 93%
It was the one thing I learned during that awful Crew-Twins series where the announcers said that fact and then derided current players for not having commitment to their country like they did back in the day.
Which got me upset for a number of reasons.
Mostly cos they showed close-ups of the Brewers when criticizing the "current" players.
I don't think not joining the armed forces is lack of commitment to the country. I don't criticize people who do it, I worry about them, and I think it's unfair that our military is compromised of mostly poor fighters.
And don't get me started on the gay thing.
Not to mention, what war have we had in recent history that is "worth" fighting?
I could go on.
But I won't.
Because I'm purely emotion on this and not very factual.
And if you know anything about me, it's that I argue with facts, not whimsical notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment