Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day 8

E and I are both off considering it's the day after St. Patty's Day.
I spend the day being a real-live vicitm of the recession:
Revising my resume and subsequent cover letters.
Bookmarking job sites.
Bookmarking jobs.
Reading over my unemployment info.
Which I have to say.
I love how archaic that all is.
One. They could have saved postage and numerous trees by emailing that information to me.
Two. I have to read basically the whole packet to find the job website that they recommend. Why isn't this info printed on the cover?
Three. Apparently they think that the best way to get a job is to talk to businesses face to face as this is the preferred method of applying for jobs.
I will say that there is a small caveat at the bottom, that if the preferred way of applying to said field is via phone or mail that is acceptable.
But I did like the mental picture of me just walking into ad agencies and asking for an application.
I found that rather humorous.

I still haven't gotten my severance check.
I'm hoping for it by the end of the week, just one more thing to cross off my list.
And you know, pay the bills.

I'm also in this somewhat precarious predicament:
To receive unemployment I have to apply for two jobs per week.
Right now I have, give or take a few, about 10 jobs I could apply to.
While I want to apply for most of them, I'm also worried, job market the way it is, that I won't have more to apply to once I apply for all of those.

I'm not overly concerned as I have not had much luck with job sites in the past.
I do think this could be a great time to start my rejection letter coffee table book.
I've also decided I really need to start sending out my short stories once again.
As I do have one that I think is quite good, especially for non-Twilight reading teenagers.
Because people who read, AND LIKE "Twilight" are probably the lamest people in the world.
There, I've said it.

In other news.
My joblessness helped someone today.
I had to take my grams to the doctor.
The Dr. and the nurse both asked if I was a nurse (my aunt, who is a nurse, usually takes her), and I had to bite my tongue to say that I was unemployed.
Sometimes I think it's funny.
Okay.
All the times I think it's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment