Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 105

Considering I was up for 21 hours the day before, I decided to take it upon myself to sleep in.
It's not always an easy task with the dog telling you she needs to go out or eat or is just wishing you good morning, but I pulled thru.

I spent the first part of the day reading upon my sittee, because I am classy like that, and that it's about 5 degrees cooler downstairs than it is upstairs. Between chapters I would doze in and out, until it was time for me to go pick up my new foster dog, Rice.

Who, upon picking up, is covered in poo.
Not his poo, but poo just the same.
His leash, his paws.
Grossoes.
Luckily, I have some old shirts in the car and try to get the shit (literally!) off his paws.
His leash is thrown in the trunk so I don't have to smell it, and a new leash is put on him.
Sick guts.

Upon entering the house, I call to E that he needs a bath; the other dogs are kenneled (I should note, when I say kenneled, I don't mean we have dog kennels in our house. I just mean they are either in their crate or in our room. "Kennel up" is a term a lot of kennels use to get the greys to get back in their kennels, so we still use that when referencing their crate, or our room).

E and I proceed to bathe Rice, who does okay, although we do get soaked in the process.
An inaugural walk after is bath dries him off nicely and he gets to meet the neighborhood kids who promptly ask:
"Why he bald?"
"What?"
"Why he bald?" Then they point and I see they're pointing at his butt.
Greyhounds do have a tendency to have bald butts. No one really knows why, but Rice is one such greyhound.
I shrug my shoulders, "Well you know how some people are bald? Some greyhounds have bald butts, it's just the way it is."
Which I have to say is a really good answer. By the time these kids grow up they will have vast greyhound knowlege.
Maybe Cold Spring Park is breeding future vets of America, for the kids that are brave enough to "rub" the dogs.
By the by, in urban speak, rub=pet.
And E and I being the classist bourgeoisie that we are, always correct them, "Yes, you can pet them."

No comments:

Post a Comment