Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day 25 (free recipe inside!)

I'm not gonna lie.
I was a little wrecked this morning.
Mostly tired as J, S & I pretty much closed Nessum Dorma the night prior.
And I had dog pick-ups and dog adoption to do.
But it wasn't anything that coffee and a bagel couldn't fix.
And about two hours watching the soundtrack channel.
And an hour long disco nap.
And some diet pepsi.

Back in the day that list would have consisted of diet pepsi and MAYBE a bagel.
Ogh.
What a drag it is getting old.

The good news is that a greyhound got adopted, the house got straightened, and some girlies came over for a movie night.
Which, like so often when we get together, was domestic bliss in the kitchen for the first hour.
(I was starving and made more cream cheese wontons, because I'm addicted.)
But then we watched the "Pepileptic Dogs" episode of Flight of the Conchords and laughed.
Then we watched "Drop Dead Gorgeous."
And let me say, this movie is full on hilare.
Minnesota accents, smoking, and dancing with Jesus on a cross.
Good times.
And then, quite possibly the greatest musical of all time:
Labyrinth.
P and I wanted to see if we could recite the movie line for line.
Almost.
And we still don't understand why should pick her brother over David Bowie.
I didn't understand it then.
And I don't understand it now.
But that movie is still amazing.

I would also like to comment on the fascination that the soundtrack channel brought me for a good two hours last night.
As we are living in a recession, E. had control over the computer.
So I settled in for some bad television.
Which turned into really good television of the soundtrack channel.
If you don't have the soundtrack channel, you are missing out.
I got to see the video for Batdance by Prince.
Addam's Family by MC Hammer (or was he just Hammer at that time?)
Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
Footloose by Kenny Loggins
3 Star Wars songs
If You Could Read My Mind by three chicks that did not do a very good job
And more.
That were awful and awesome all at the same time.
It made me realize that there is a whole world of music that needs to go on my ipod.
And I forgot how much I loved "Batdance" by Prince.
True.
It's definitely going on my next Halloween compilation.

Recession news:
A job I applied to actually requested writing samples from me.
I was quite excited to see this, and will most definitely keep you posted.
I'm not expecting much, but it's the first bite I've had since my recession began, so the fingers are crossed and the thumbs are being held.
I have to say I think I'm doing a really good job of applying for jobs.
I now have decided I need to do a better job of writing my fiction, because I think I may have a novel on my hands.
Eek.

Recession fun:
Here is the recipe for cream cheese wontons.
I feel this is relevant because these are wickedly easy to make and wickedly cheap.
Okay and Becky requested it.
To wit:
1 pack of wontons (which is about 80 I believe) $1.99
1 bunch of scallions (maybe $1, but probably less, and you don't use the whole bunch)
1 can of water chesnuts ($.79)
1 pack of cream cheese ($.88, generic on sale)
The filling mix above makes about 20-30 wontons, which is easily enough to feed a small army.
One caveat: You should only make what you are going to eat that night. They don't keep/re-heat well. So you may want to halve the following recipe:
Ingredients:
Wonton wrappers

4 scallions, chopped
1 can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 pack of cream cheese, softened.
Paprika to taste

*Combine ingredients.

*Mix until thoroughly combined.
*Take a wonton wrapper and outline the edges with water (I usually have a wee cup of water and use my finger and run it along the edges of the wonton).
*Fill wonton with about a tsp. of mixture (maybe a more maybe less).
*Fold wonton in half so it makes a triangle, the water you outlined will seal the edges. *Continue until you have as many wontons as you need.
*In a frying pan (or you could use a deep fryer) line the bottom of the pan with oil, then do it again (you want the bottom of your wontons to be able to rest in the oil).
*When oil is hot place wontons in the pan, fry until the bottoms are brown, and then flip over. *When both sides are brown they are done!
*Drain on paper towel
*Enjoy!
They are delicious, but probably not so nutritious. But they ARE way cheaper (and more delicious) than ordering them via take-out!

No comments:

Post a Comment