Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 45

Recession food:
Because it has been effing cold here I decided to make some soup for dinner.
We had a can of black beans in the ol' pantry and I thought that black bean soup sounded like it would be a good option.
So I scoured online and found an easy recipe.
Since E and I are just a two person family, I just kind of guessed in the ingredients:
1 can of black beans
1 onion chopped
jalapenos, chopped (I used the kind in a jar, about two spoons worth)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp of cumin (it called for ground cumin, but I used seeds)
some southwest spice I found in the pantry.
Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in a pan and cook everything but black beans until onions are soft.
Add black beans and simmer for about 15 minutes.
I topped mine with a bit of cheese, salsa, and some plain yogurt.
It was effing delicious.
I realize this soup probably won't be made in the summer all that much, but it sure was easy enough and filling.
I would definitely double the above recipe next time as E and I were sad there were no leftovers.
And be warned.
There was some definite kick.

As I was enjoying my quick and delicious soup, I took in a Brewer game.
Braden Looper was pitching.
AND WE WON!
Which means.
WHICH MEANS!!!
Rubber match tomorrow versus the world champion Phillies.
The very same Phillies who ousted us from the playoffs last year.
And with Bush on the mound.
(get your mind out of the gutter peope, GEEZ!)
I think we can get stuff done.
We may not win, but I'm confident we will put up a fight.
A FIGHT I SAY!
In other Brewer news:
I've come up with a new nickname for Braden Looper, since apparently he is our ace.
Little Latin loopy loo.
It takes a while to get there, but the whole scene is effing perfect.
That link just makes me want to watch that movie and quote it over and over and over again.

Interview tomorrow.
(Bites nails and looks around nervously).
Which means early to bed tonight as I have to drive E to work at the pre-crack of dawn AND i have to get all of my shite together.
Forms to fill out, questions to practice, nausea to power through.

E. bought some semolina flour so I am just one breadmachine run away from making homemade pasta! Perhaps for my birthday I will ask for the pasta attachment for my kitchen aid. Then I can make my own ravioli.
OMG OMG OMG.

I will let you know how this all pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment